Welcome

One marathon down, many more miles to go...

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Too Many Mashed Potatoes

Well, now that Thanksgiving is over, I can say I've learned a few lessons. But before I begin I must say that Thanksgiving is awesome. Dang I really love the food. It's the amount that really does a person in. I'm pretty sure there is a fear of starvation when the family gathers. I think it's an unfounded fear, but it still seems to be present.

Also, in my family we drink socially. And when everything around the holidays is social, that comes out to be a lot of drinking. Not all at once mind you, but spread out over a few days. My mom keeps wine flowing like it's water, and even busted out the chocolate martinis on Saturday night. I don't drink those. They kick me in the pants. I did help my dad bottle and brew some beer though. Erich and I got a quick lesson. We started brewing a pilsner that is going to be ready around New Year's Eve, so that will be nice timing. It's currently bubbling at my parent's house so we'll pick up some bottles around Christmas. My dad had a batch of IPA ready to be bottled so we did that too. I'll have pictures up on Facebook soon. Erich and I took a 6-pack home and will be able to drink them in a couple of weeks. Mmmmmm...

So, all this being said, I did not do any sort of working out for a week. Stirring a vat of wort does not count as a workout. I thought I'd at least hop on my mom's elliptical while we were home but it didn't happen. That coupled with lots of food was not good for yesterday's workout.

It all started out just fine with Jill and I doing a triceps and chest circuit. This is what it was:
  • Triceps pull downs with a rope
  • Incline chest press with dumbbells
  • Lateral dumbbell raises
  • Behind the head triceps extensions with a dumbbell
  • Incline chest flies with dumbbells
We did a circuit doing 17 reps then switching to the next exercise. We completed the circuit 3 times. The lifting was just fine After this we did a quick 30 minute run/walk. That is where I about died. Now, on normal days, I do not have troubles running 3 miles. I barely made it yesterday. There was even some walking involved. How disappointing! Only 3 miles!? My stomach literally hurt, my legs felt like they weighed 100 pounds each and my form felt completely off. It just felt terrible. The guy next to me was running at a good clip and I was so jealous.

These are the lessons I learned and will need to employ over Christmas:
  • Eat less. I thought I did a good job with portions but thinking back, I really was only conscious of this during our actual Thanksgiving meal. I didn't apply it to the other meals or to snacks. No one needs to sit down and eat a giant bowl of Chex Mix or a plate full of olives or a plate full of pickle/cream cheese/ham appetizers. I did only eat one slice of pie all week. That's an accomplishment.
  • Drink less. This is tough considering the culture of my family and my love for good wine and home brew. But, I realize that not only did I have an issue with alcohol, but with soda as well. I drank a lot of soda. It's bad because I so very rarely drink soda. I have to keep conscious of this. I need to replace with water. I was probably dehydrated from the week.
  • Continue exercising. This is probably the most important. Even if it's just a quick jaunt on the elliptical since I hate going outside. This might be more of a challenge over Christmas since we'll be with Erich's family. I might have to run to my parents' for a quick workout on a couple of the days.
  • Stay away from the cats! Seriously, you think I'd know better. I always get so stuffy and sneezy when we're at Erich's parents'. It's unfortunate because I like their cats and I like to play with them. Especially the new little one. I just have to remember to stay away. The less hair I have on me the better. Not only is it more helpful while we're there, but it also ensures I don't bring cat hair home with me and continue to be stuffy. I also must remember to bring Claritin. It helps so much. I'm quite bummed and I know Erich is too that I've developed this allergy. For a while I thought it was only long-haired cats that bother me, but it seems to be all kinds. :(  Jill's cat, Merlin, makes me go crazy too and he has short hair.
I think all of the above will help me to get through the holidays with more enjoyment. I'll feel so much better when it's over. On Sunday, Jenna, Katie and I will be having cookie day. We'll be making at least 5 types of cookies. We all split them. Hopefully I show some restraint and also keep myself at the gym.

Tonight's workout is biceps and back and hopefully we'll get in some decent cardio since last night was so terrible. I just have to be sure to get home before Glee starts...it might be a quick workout. Tomorrow will probably be cardio only. I'll be spending Thursday night at a hotel in Fergus Falls so it seems like my workout will be in their fitness room. Friday will be an off day and maybe I'll get my butt into the pool again on Saturday. It sounds so nice and I haven't been there for a long time. I also need to wear the fishy swim cap I got from Gina.

I hope everything pans out for the rest of the week. Here's hoping for some improvement.

1 comment:

  1. I need people around here to do cookie baking with. Making PB Balls, PB Blossoms, Sugar Cookies, Cinnamon Oatmeal Chip Cookies, and Cherry Bing Bars is just too much for one person to bake, and two people to eat. Thankfully we have family and friends willing to help us out :-D
    I also frosted my sugar cookies like we did at the Cookie Jar one of those last years where we dipped them and they turned out quite well! I was pleased, especially since I always made you do the dipping so I didn't actually have any experience myself

    ReplyDelete