Welcome

One marathon down, many more miles to go...

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Getting Started

Well, today is when I really am getting into the beginnings of my training for the big event. I'm simply trying to get to the point where I'm comfortable with a 6 mile run on a treadmill. I have always had an issue with translating my comfortable speed outside to a treadmill inside. I'm much faster outside. It must have something to do with my stride length. Tonight I did a Body Works plus Abs class at LA Fitness. It was OK. Not sure how much of that class I'll do. It works you pretty hard but has little to no cardio aspect. I'm not really interested in that.

To prepare for my actual training program I'm planning to run about 4 miles 3 days a week and then do a longer 5-6 mile run 1 day a week. I'll cross train one more day a week for a total of 5 days a week of working out. I think it's going to be a huge adjustment in my time schedule and I want to get into the habit of doing it before I start my training program.

Speaking of training programs, I'm debating between two different ones I've found. There's the 26-week program which I think looks very manageable. I like how it starts with 2 days a week of cross training, then works down to 1 day a week. It also has nice gradual increases which I feel is great for a complete marathon novice. On the other hand is the 18-week program. 18 week programs seem to be very common. This particular one is from Hal Higdon who writes for Runner's World and has developed numerous marathon programs for many levels. It's a tough choice. I'm still trying to decide what to do.

After some thought, I anticipate some serious challenges while taking this on. I'm going to try working on them one at a time so I can get over them by the time I start a training program. Here they are:

  1. Making time for a workout 5 days a week. This is difficult because I love coming home and vegging out and cooking dinner after work. I also am not a morning person so that's not ideal either
  2. Nutrition. My eating habits are going to have to change dramatically. Don't get me wrong, I don't eat too poorly now, but I really need to begin thinking of my food as fuel for my workouts. Since more will be expected of my body than day to day activities and a quick trip to the gym, I need to have good fuel. Premium over ethanol if you will. I'm removing soda and worthless sweets from my diet. Looks like the candy dish in my cube will not get any more visits from me to curb a sweet tooth. On a somewhat related note, I just saw a commercial for the McRib and nothing seems more disgusting than some crappy meat-ish substance coated in low grade BBQ sauce on a sesame seed bun. Blech. Glad I don't have a soft spot for those things. Their French fries on the other hand is a different story.
  3. Not getting bored. Sometimes I get bored easily with running. I'll get bored before I get tired. This is mostly true for running inside so whenever I can get outside it will be ideal.
  4. Summer training. Minnesota gets hot and humid in the summer. This does not bode well for trying to train in the summer months. As a fix for this and making time for a workout 5 days a week I might need to learn to get up early (AAAAAAAAAAAH!) so I can run before it gets hot. 
  5. Summer training II. There's another aspect to summer training that will be difficult for me. It's by far the busiest time of the year for me. I'm often tired as it is and if I'm getting up early, yikes!
  6. Potential injury. I've had some shin issues lately. My left shin, just below my knee has a little bump on it that becomes sore while running and after I run. I'm hoping it's not something bad like a stress fracture. I plan to get it checked out in a few weeks so I can get on the mend if it's something that needs time to heal.
  7. Fundraising. As I mentioned in my first post, in order to run this marathon for the MS Society I need to raise $1000. I'll set up a fundraising page as soon as I can actually register through the MS Society and that will be helpful. Don't forget to check it out when that time comes. It will be very important!
Above are my major issues. I'm hoping to overcome them and really rock this thing. And by rock it I mean finish it with a respectable time. I don't want to be the last person crossing the finish line. I feel like the best way to tackle these is with a good night's sleep. With that, I'm off to bed for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment