Welcome

One marathon down, many more miles to go...

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

First post illness workout

On Monday, Jill and I went to the gym to get a good workout in. Since I'd been ill the week prior, this was my first workout since and I didn't have high hopes for it. However, it went great!

I really like to try and get some cardio in even on strength days. It really boosts the metabolism and ensures I'm still getting in some good runs. So, here's how our workout went:

Strength Training Circuit - we're working on lower weights with higher reps. We did a set of each, then repeated the circuit 3 times.
Leg press
Calf raises
Hamstring curls
Wall Sits

Cardio-
30 minute run/walk

I told Jill that since we had done a lower body workout, her legs might be a little out of it and she should walk as she felt she needed to. I was quite impressed when she told me that she ran 2 minutes then walked 3. That's pretty good after lower body strength training. Especially for someone who doesn't particularly care for running.

As for me, I ran 35 minutes at an incline of 1. I haven't been going at high inclines or high speeds since I'm prone to knee problems and last time I ran my shin was in pain. I ran at a level 6 for 15 minutes, then a level 5.5 for 10 and slowed down to level 5 for 5 minutes. 5 is really slow (12 minute mile pace) but my outer quads were a little jelly-like from the workout so It was good to just get through both. I felt great after the workout and had a definite runner's high when I got home and felt like I could do it again. I ended up getting in just over 3 miles in the run. I'm pretty pleased with that. The best part was that I barely coughed at all throughout. YES!!!

I missed yesterday's workout because Erich and I decided to drive to South Dakota early because an ice storm was on it's way. The ice storm is currently here so I won't be running outside anytime soon. If I get motivated, which is unlikely due to the Thanksgiving holiday, I might hop on my mom's elliptical machine. I brought my workout gear so we'll see if I get the motivation. Good luck to any of you who try as well!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment