Welcome

One marathon down, many more miles to go...

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Racing Plans

Well, it's March, which means racing season is pretty much here. In Minneapolis we've been having outdoor road races since January so I guess it's been here for a while. Yah, we're pretty hardy here dontcha know.


So far I've done a 5K. I ran the 100% Irish for a Day 5K the Saturday before St. Patrick's Day. I've been itching to do another race but I really feel like I shouldn't be spending money on entrance fees right now. Taxes are due on April 15. YAY! :( Last year when we had to pay in and this year when we found out we have to pay in again, I at least found the silver lining and thought, "Well hey, at least I didn't give the government an interest free loan for the past 12 months." That's about all I've got for positive thinking and taxes. Back to running...


Since I don't think I'll be doing any more races this spring, It's been difficult to consistently get out and train. Apparently I'm the type that needs a goal. I think this is especially true since I've been prepping for the GMAT lately. That is where my spare time has been going. But despite the nice weather, I've been a little inconsistent in training. But, soon that will all have to change because I have some big race plans on the agenda. BIG!


First, I've decided that I'd really like to do the Twin Cities 10-mile. It's in conjunction with the Twin Cities Marathon, which I ran last year. In fact they run some of the same route, at the same time. The 10-milers just get to skip 60% of the marathon route. The unfortunate thing is that they share the most difficult leg of the route. The part that's all uphill. The part that practically killed me at the end last October. Joy. But, I figure that portion will be much easier with only 3 miles behind me instead of 19. Another unfortunate thing is that since there is such a high demand for entries into this race, you only get in by lottery. So, the lottery opens in July and I plan to enter. 


The race itself is on October 7. My birthday! This means that I'll actually start training just before I know whether or not I'm actually in. Why would I start training so early just for a 10-mile you ask? Well, because I have plans for a second race in late October. I am planning to run the Monster Dash Half Marathon. Halloween+Road Race must = Good time right? I think so. I'm just trying to garner some support in the form of a running partner or two. A friend from Chicago might join me, though I'm afraid she'll probably kick my butt. However, I know that if she comes up I'll really push myself and we'll have a great time! She'll get to see more of the Twin Cities than just the airport, unlike last time she was up. Did I mention this friend works for the National MS Society Greater Illinois Chapter and is a huge crusader in ending MS? No? Well now I did. She's pretty awesome! I love her gusto!


In addition to the Monster Dash Half, I think we'll be running yet another race together. This one won't be until January however. "January?" you ask. Yes, my friends. January. I will not be running in Minneapolis, or anywhere near the upper Midwest for that matter. We're doing a race in FLORIDA!!! Not just any race, a huge, crazy endurance, test-your-mental-not just-physical-stamina race. We're running...drum roll please...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...RAGNAR


What is Ragnar you ask? Well, taken directly from the website, "Ragnar is the overnight running relay race that makes testing your limits a team sport. A team is made up of 6 or 12 individuals; each individual runs 3 legs. The legs of the race vary in difficulty and distance from 308 miles, allowing elite and novice runners to run together. Over 2 days and 1 night, teams run across 200 miles of the country's most scenic terrain. Pair that with crazy costumes, inside jokes, a great finish line party and unforgettable stories. Some call it a slumber party with out sleep, pillows or deodorant. We call it Ragnar."


Yes, you read that right. 200 miles! Not only do we run that far, but we do it over the course of two days and one night! An overnight run! Are we crazy? Probably. But, it seems that there are a lot of crazy people out there since these relays happen all over the country, even near the Twin Cities. We aren't doing the Twin Cities one because I have a wedding to attend that weekend. Florida in January seemed like the next best option. 

Now, another reason we might be a little crazy is because of this:


You see that part just after exchange 12 and Florida City? That part where it's shaded a different color? Well, that's the Everglades. Hot, swampy and full of alligators. The route goes right through that. You know what the best part is? That leg is AT NIGHT on a rocky, gravel trail. I'm thinking if you trip and fall (which is likely since your route is illuminated only by a headlamp and occasional headlights from support vans), you're instantly alligator dinner, or midnight/middle of the night snack. But, you know, sounds like a good challenge right? I did a quick Google search today and didn't find anything about anyone getting attacked by an alligator yet during this race, so I think we're good. Either that or statistics are not on our side and our time is due. Hopefully it's the former. The other good news regarding the gators is that only two legs go through the Everglades. So as long as I'm not runner 2 or 3, I should be ok. 

As you can also see, once you exit the Everglades, you also exit mainland Florida and start running on US Highway 1, or the Intercoastal Highway.

Photo Courtesy of Bing


That's right, running on huge-ass bridges that connect all of the Florida Keys. Don't mind me, I'll just take a jog over the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean. No biggie. Now, I know this would make a lot of people's heads swim but it sounds like the coolest thing ever for me. That is aside from the lack of shade and high potential for blistering heat but seriously. Awesome. I've always wanted to simply drive over this highway. Running sounds even better. 

The race finishes in Key West and wraps up with a giant party. Don't mind if I do! Since the race is Friday through Saturday, I imagine we'll come home on Sunday. Perfect for soaking up a few rays while enjoying a Key West beach before heading back to what will surely be the frozen tundra of Minnesota in January.

Can you tell I'm excited for this? Erin already has 8 people recruited. We only need 4 more. What do you say, are you in?


1 comment:

  1. That Florida RAGNAR race sounds awesome! I had no idea it was such a nationwide event. Good luck recruiting the additional runners!

    ReplyDelete