Welcome

One marathon down, many more miles to go...

Friday, January 7, 2011

Whoa! Sooooo long!

December 22 was my last post? Really? Hmmm... sorry faithful readers...if you exist.

Since Christmas I've had some pretty good work outs lately. Last week I did a KILLER lower body. Now, when I say killer, it's pretty serious because I consider my lower body to be ridiculously strong (leg press roughly 200 lbs) and not much gets me sore. I created this workout and it looked great on paper but felt a little less than great the next couple of days. However, after it was all said and done, I'd do it again. Feel free to use it if you're feeling really motivated.

Part 1: Rotate between walking lunges and squats. Complete the circuit 3 times.
25 walking lunges w/10 lb dumbbells in each hand for a total of 20 extra pounds besides body weight
20 squats holding a 10 lb dumbbell

Part 2: Rotate between hip adduction (toward your body) and hip abduction (away from your body) Complete the circuit 3 times
20 reps on hip adduction machine
20 reps on hip abduction machine

Part 3: Calf press - Use the leg press machine but only put the toes on the board so when pushing, only the calves do the work.
20 reps, 3 sets, 50 lbs
* I should have increased this weight because it was easy and it was the only part of me below my waist that didn't hurt the next day, though that might have been a good thing.

Part 4: Run 45 minutes
Turns out I didn't run the whole time due to the above strength training taking it all out of me. I could only eke out about 25 minutes of running.

Part 5: Wall sit for 30 seconds, repeat 3 times.
*I usually do 1 minute at a time, but that was possible on this day.

So that was my most recent lower body workout. It took a while to recover so it's a good thing I worked a lot of evenings this week. Despite my work schedule, Jill and I did get in a good tricep, chest, and shoulder workout in on Monday. Here's that one:

Part 1: Triceps, chest, shoulder circuit. Repeat 3 times
17 bench dips
17 decline pushups/regular pushups
17 lying rear delt raises (I should probably post a piture of this sometime because it's hard to explain)

Part 2: Triceps, chest, shoulder cirucut. Repeat 3 times
17 dumbbell tricep extension
17 lying chest flies
17 standing front delt raises

Part 3: Run 30 minutes

For the record, I'm not quite to a point where I can do decline pushups. They are harder than they look. We just did regular pushups and whoa are those hard after doing bench dips!

I'm trying to add more variety to our workouts. It's getting a little better. Yesterday Jill couldn't come to the gym so instead of doing strength without her, I skipped it and biked for 30 minutes. Kind of lame but better than nothing. I did do it at a level 12 and kept it over 100 RPMs for a good majority of the workout so that's not too shabby.

In the future look forward to my advice on strength training and cardio training and how to succeed in each as well as both in one day. It's quite insightful and pretty surprising for most people. I find the information to be highly fascinating and useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment